It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Monday, July 2, 2012

In case you didn’t know…

it’s still hot with no rain in sight!  I have been reading, cleaning closets, etc. just to keep busy as I stay inside with the air conditioner.  No relief in sight for at least 8 more days.

I had to make a store run early this morning as my bananas were too ripe to eat.  So, I made banana bread, 3 small loaves from Chef John’s recipe which is really good.

*****

Chef John’s Banana Bread

From All Recipes.com

 

INGREDIENTS:

cooking spray

3 ripe bananas

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup softened butter

1 cup white sugar

2 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon milk

1 cup chopped walnuts

1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

2.  Grease a 9x4 inch loaf pan.

3.  Mash bananas in a bowl.

4.  Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in another bowl.

5.  Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer or spatula in a large bowl until smooth.

6.  Stir in mashed bananas.

7.  Add eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, fully blending in each egg before adding the next.

8.  Stir in vanilla extract and milk.

9.  Stir in chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, and flour mixture until just incorporated.

10.  Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Tap pan on the counter to release any air pockets.

11  Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.

12  Let the bread rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan. Slice and serve.

*****

One nice thing about an electric oven that is self cleaning, doesn’t heat up the kitchen.

Remember, Stay safe and be happy!!

Beth

16 comments:

  1. I had ripe bananas too, and made banana muffins this morning! It's been so hot here. I'm glad baseball season is finally over and maybe we'll actually have some time for the pool! I'm hoping we'll get some rain soon. Our grass is so brown and pokey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still very hot here too and the fire situation is awful. One is now 75% contained but another one over 200,000 acres still rages on...better than some states I guess, counting my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,

    Raining still here, pity I cannot sent you some.

    Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pound of cherries for lunch. You know me and bing cherries.

    Hot hot hot and dry here..no appreciable rain in a month. :-(((

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much of the country needs rain...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth thank you so much for always cheering me up with a comment they mean so much and with that I have a little award I like you to have so go over to my blog and pick it up you special gal you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you can stay cool inside. BGB

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a very brief shower during the night last night - less that 1/10 of an inch in the rain gauge - but every little bit helps. Today's high temperature is predicted to be a little less than the past several days, thankfully.

    Those chocolate chips in that banana bread take it to a different place!:) Yum!

    xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same situation here -- upper 90s to 100 until the weekend. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't want to run the oven when it's this hot, even if I do have the AC on. It got hot enough in here with the dryer on today while washing clothes. But I do love banana bread. Sounds like a good recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey - I'll have to try that recipe - love the chocolate chip additions!!! Thanks for following my blog - I am following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a pretty flower at the heading of your blog. This heat is getting to me too. It's worse than being home bound during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what happen to spring?? i don't remember it!!

    i don't bake bread because we have a little place just up the street that makes the most amazing bread, 3.00 for a good size loaf and it is amazing, right out of the oven!!

    love the purple flower up top, that's a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chef John sounds like a great cook. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about your heat! I use heat as an excuse NOT to cook in the summer! Of course, it rarely gets hot in our neck of the woods, and we don't have air conditioning when it does! So, I enjoy the couple days a year of heat (and going out to eat!)

    Right now though, I am so tired of going out to eat every meal! That's the bummer of vacationing in strange cities and foreign countries. I will be happy to be home and cook (at least for awhile!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll put that recipe away till I lose the few extra pounds I put on whilst on holiday Beth.LOL, the food in USA is just too irresistable.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)