It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie…

I love looking at old cook books.  Occasionally I will fix a recipe from one of them.  On my recipe site when I first started it in 2007 on Windows Live Spaces I made mention of the fact that I learned to cook from a Betty Crocker cookbook that I received as a wedding gift.  Looking back I must say it was the best wedding present that Jim and I received.  My greatest claim to cooking fame at that time was fixing Kraft Macaroni and Cheese from the blue box.  Yep!  they had Kraft mac and cheese in the 50s.

OK, that is enough of the reminiscing.  Yesterday at a garage sale I found some Pillsbury Bake-Off cook booklets for 25 cents each.  One of them was really great.  It featured Bake-Off winners from 1949 through to the 90s.  One recipe  caught my eye because of the zucchini recipes that Nellie has been posting on her blog recently.  This recipe is for Nellie who is having a bonanza harvest of zucchini this season.

The 1980 Bake-Off winner was Millicent Caplan from Florida.  Her recipe follows:
Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie
  • 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 cups shredded Muenster or mozzarella cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) can Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees  In large skillet over medium-high heat cook the zucchini and onions in the margarine until tender.  Stir in parsley flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano.  In large bowl, combine eggs and cheese; mix well.  Stir in cooked vegetable mixture
  2. Separate dough into 8 triangles.  Place in ungreased 10 inch pie pan or 11 inch quiche pan; press over bottom and up sides to form crust.  Firmly press perforations to seal.  spread crust with mustard.  Poor egg mixture evenly into crust –lined pan.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 – 22 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 
TIP:  Cover edges of crust with strips of foil during last 10 minutes of baking if necessary to prevent excessive browning.
Back in the days when I was cooking everything from scratch I had all of the mentioned spices.  I don’t keep all of them now, no reason too.  This recipe does sound good and I would love to taste it.
*********************************
Stay safe and be happy!!
Beth

17 comments:

  1. I've always loved Betty Crocker and I've find the best recipes in those little booklets put out by different companies. Hope your friend enjoys this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greeting s from Tiny Ontario.....
    Ducked in from my weekend get away to say hello. oooh pie, where is the pictures Beth, at least let me eat vicariously!

    Have a great weekend
    Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added a photo just for you Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also love (and tend to collect) old cookbooks. I say "we" because my husband actually has more cookbooks than I do. He is a former chef (jack of all trades) and is usually a better cook than I. Thanks so much for this post and the recipe. We will try it when the zucchini in our garden is ready for harvest. Have a great Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to find old recipes for desserts mostly. It's fun making something yummy that nobody has thought to make in many years :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great! It sure goes to show that it's hard beat the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother used to make zucchini pie. Thank you for sharing this! I need to make this as soon as the zucchinis come in my garden. Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those old recipies are wonderful tasting, but I do like to know the information they put on the new ones. I can tell a lot just knowing about the ingrediants, but it is nice to know calorie counts etc. just to be safe. I do remember how good those old recipes were. Enjoy! BGB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tasted zucchini pie! It does sound and look pretty good. I hope you get to make it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth, thank you so much for this recipe! I don't have any of those crescent rolls, but I'll bet it would be good on a pizza crust! That is something to try VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is a great way to use zucchini! Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty - looking pie, Beth. Sounds delish as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a collection of old cookbooks from churches and organizations an love them. I thank you for your prayers and good vibes. Have a great Sunday Beth. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Beth,

    Sun is trying to come out here today, forecast for temps of 20c possible. Ah June, with our heating still on in the mornings. But it is good to see the sun at least some of the time.

    Hope you have a blessed Sunday

    Hugs Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh goodness...I love Betty Crocker anything and I have a collection of recipe books gathering dust. Time to dust 'em off.
    xox

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)