It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A great day to be alive…

and I am so thankful that I am.  It is blissfully cool here again this morning at 48 degrees to reach the mid 70s.  I had someone say to me once that my blogs were boring, that no one was interested in my weather.  This happens to be my online diary that I have faithfully maintained since 2005, before Jim’s illness, following through his treatment, and  until his death in 2006.  I have made many friends.  Some of them are very special to me and we keep in touch by email and telephone.  In all of my lifetime I have met only one person, a blogging friend, that shares the same birthday as I.  Not the same year, just the same day.

Anyway, to get back to this, my online diary, I was scheduled for a painful test in the spring.  I searched and searched for something to prove I had the same thing done less than two years before.  And, guess what, I found the information I needed in my online diary.  After further checking with the doctor who was to perform the test, he was able to verify the results and so I didn’t have to have this test repeated.  And speaking of doctors, I have an appointment with one this afternoon which I am not looking forward too.

Yesterday was a day of running; to the store, Menards and Wal*Mart.I am pretty well stocked up on groceries.  I feel very sorry for the ones who are having a tough time getting by in this economy.  While I was at the pharmacy on Sunday I saw such a scruffy looking person.  His clothes and shoes were tattered and his person was dirty and unkempt.  He stood at the counter waiting for attention for about 15 minutes while I was sitting down waiting for my scripts.  He had one arm missing.  I wondered if he was living on the streets.  So many of our veterans are coming home from war traumatized and finding no help.  For various reasons many of them are homeless with no family or friends to care about them.  We have swept these men who have defended our country to the far corners of our mind, so that we can happily go on with our lives.  http://www.squidoo.com/homelessveterans

http://veterans4veteransamerica.com/aboutus.aspx

homeless vet  homeless

Forgive me if I get carried away on this subject!  I had 3 brothers, only one of them still living.  They all served multiple tours in Viet Nam.  My husband served in Korea and I have many relatives who served.  This is a subject very near to my heart.

Sorry to get so serious as I try to keep my blogs uplifting if I can.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe and be happy!!

Red heart  Beth

16 comments:

  1. I don't understand people being critical of other's blogs...it's ours to write as we please. I understand about the economy. I don't work and my husband is loosing his job sometime in the next few months due to the plant relocating, and the pay isn't enough for us to move. Prayers please!!! HOPE you have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How rude of someone to tell you that your blogs are boring and how dare they! Who cares what they think anyway. I don't find it boring to see what the weather is like in other parts of the country. My hubby served in the Navy and his brother was a paratrooper so I'm with you on the subject of vets.
    Well I hope you have a good Dr. visit today and I'm glad you found that you didn't need that painful test. Turns out having a blog/diary is a good thing.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well first of all I love your blogs. The weather is always interesting as it's so unpredictable.

    It's so sad that so many Vets are homeless. We have an old retirement home here that shut down years ago. One wing is used as a halfway house and the other wings are for homeless Vets. Our Moose lodge is doing a dinner with discounts if things are brought that is one the list of needed items for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it's YOUR blog, you can say anything you want and thumb your nose at anyone who doesn't like it. I love reading your blogs---love the weather reports (I used to live in the Chicago 'Burbs) and news of Illinois. I agreed that it is sad so many are homeless, especially the vets. I'll bet a lot of them don't realize that because they are vets, there are places they can go---we have a veterans' home not far from us in Yountville. Keep blogging and ignore those ignorant folks who don't like your blogs. Have a nice day and keep humming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I can't imagine anyone telling you your blogs are boring. I know when I had mine, it was a journal too and I'm thankful I printed mine out when MSN shut down Spaces. I still love reading your even though I no longer blog, just Facebook. Yours proved to be useful information. Keep blogging Beth, about anything. Homeless veterans is near and dear to my heart as well. I can't believe how we treat them as a society. Our middle class is fading and before long we will feel similar to what our veterans feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about what 1 person said....there are too many more that enjoy your news. And it is sad how our veterans are treated. Hope your Dr visit goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand people who take the time to be critical and pass judgment. If they don't like it, don't read it! Right? Move on! Good grief! It's your blog. It is a "personal" blog to do with as you wish. I'm sure mine is very boring to most people, but it's mine. I do try to keep mine generally uplifting, too--but we can talk about anything we want to. And the government has shamefully neglected our servicemen from our many wars. It touched your heart and you can sure talk about that. :)

    Good luck at the doctor's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone who is so critical can look somewhere else. I enjoy reading about your weather as I do others.
    It is a shame and a disgrace how our Vets are treated.
    It's cool here too and I love that Fall is near. I hope the DR.'s visit turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth I have heard horror stories of Vets coming back to nothing. They have lost their jobs and find themselves very very alone. One being a soldier in my Husband's unit. It is very sad and it makes me very angry. Rant away Beth we all need to speak up about this! It is the least we can do for the Men and Women who give up so much for us!
    Blessings, Joanne

    P.S. Your blog is NOT boring! That person is WRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do know what you mean about looking things up in your blog. I have done the same thing. Glad it helped you and I agree with Sue and others.. pay those who put your blog in a bad light no mind. They have no idea what the heck they are talking about. My G/F I have known since high school has your B'day Sis... It's a very special day to manyof us because you and Twin are in it. I pray that you always know that. Good news from your appt today..keeping the good thoughts going.. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love ah good slice of life to read. I think it is shameful so many vets are ignored. Enjoy this cool wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sis there would know who the person who was critical is. That person has zinged every one of us at least once, Some multiple times. Tat person has some bad problems and I glad I don't have any professional use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I figure a blog belongs to who types it up. I have received criticism on occasion but try to take such things constructively other things well, I guess you could say they go to the trash heap of things better forgotten. What bothers me about many of the Vets I know now is they are all younger than me. One I went to school with while the others I watched them grow up...talk about something that makes me feel old. I've dealt with them as a minister and know the weight of praying for each and every one of them and counseling in any way I can...just being there for them. The only way you can be untouched by their needs is if you don't know them. Have a good day my friend...it's 75 here and beautifully clear...talk about good to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The weather here for the last few days has been in one word, crappy
    I'd like to meet the creep who made that crack about your blog. What pearls of wisdom does he or she write about?

    ReplyDelete
  16. How rude indeed Beth probably long gone by now. Yes it is a digrace how the vets are treated I just don't understand it.Same here in the UK many live in tiny flats and are not very comfortable at all. Have a good day hugs Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)