It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Ghost Story…

Central Illinois which is my home now has one of the most fascinating ghost stories you will ever read.  This ghost’s name was A. Bookbinder, called Old Book by the staff and residents of the old insane asylum at Bartonville, Illinois.  I remember when I was growing up in Western Illinois we were threatened as kids that if we were not good we would end up in Bartonville.  That would put the fear of God in me as a small child.  But, this is not about me, this is about Old Book.  This ghost story dates back 100 years.  Check http://www.prairieghosts.com/barton.html and http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1673647856/Luciano-Old-Book-has-a-new-marker-and-admirers.  The story by Phil Luciano in today’s Journal Star is so fascinating.  I won’t go into details here but if you like a good ghost story be sure to check these links, especially the last one.

Be sure also to check out “The Pumpkin House” in Kenova West Virginia, the city where my sister lives.  This house and grounds are decorated with thousands of lit pumpkins.  I have never been there at the time of this event.  My sis says she likes to get over there to buy a funnel cake.  Winking smile  By the way, in case you don’t know this, the city where my sis lives  was named after 3 states.  Ken (Kentucky) ,o (Ohio) va (West Virginia).  You can stand in Kenova and put one arm in Ohio and the other arm in Kentucky.  Lots of fun to go shopping in 3 states in just a matter of minutes.

I am looking forward to my niece bringing my great niece over to trick or treat tonight.  I am also hoping my SIL’s niece will bring her little girl by.  I love to look at the costumes.  I think my great niece is dressing as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and is carrying a basket with Toto (a stuffed dog) in it.  I hope to get some pictures.

Have a wonderful day.

Red heart  Beth

11 comments:

  1. Wow have a really great time tonight sounds exciting Beth. Will check out those ghost stories thank you. Take care and Enjoy Hugs Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love ole stories like the one you posted. That house is amazing and it makes one wonder who carved all the pumpkins and how long to set all that up , just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will go read. Thanks. It will be nice to have trick or treaters. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a nice time. We will be taking our kid's out to trick or treat tonight too. First time I've got to do that with them as I had to work last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both you and Toodie have Dorothy in your blogs today. Can't wait to see your little one's costume. And speaking of Wizard of Oz...you were, weren't you? Did you know there's 15 books in the collection. They're really fun reading and the whole story is much different than the movie, like that's a surprise.

    I had a picture of that very Pumpkin House in my email this morning. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Halloween last night in my town I haven't seen the pictures yet of Andy's Grands as they went out last night,on their street. It was cold too. I'll check those websites later as I have to cook some turnip greens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing stories and WoW! what a pumkin house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have some fun tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like very much the Gost BUT I always read about the gost story and watching on TV too:-)
    HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME TONIGHT.
    BIG HUGS,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  10. that pumpkin house was amazing!! interesting with the name of the town and how it connected with those three states!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every year I say I am going to Salem Ma. because of all the history there and it's connection with witches and all that but I haven't made it yet. They have a parade of people in costume plus there's all that witch history. Maybe next year. Off to work again.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)