It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bounty from a garden…

thanks to Tim and Val.  My son in law’s brother and his wife.  I will shred the zucchini and put it in the freezer for now.
002I am not fond of zucchini cooked as a vegetable but it makes a really good bread or cake.  Recipe from Cooks.com.
  125722
Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
  2. In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, white sugar, and salt. Mix well.
  3. In another bowl beat eggs, vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together. Pour into egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the shredded zucchini. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Allow cakes to cool in pans. Stack and frost into a 3 layer cake using Cream Cheese Frosting.
  5. To Make Frosting: Cream together the cream cheese, butter or margarine. Add the confectioner's sugar, a little at a time. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and mix well. Spread on cool cake layers.

Beth

6 comments:

  1. Several years ago I developed a serious addiction to zucchini when a roommate's mother sent some to us. I was astounded to learn zucchini was a vegetable and not some sort of Italian specialty bread.

    PS: I got the word on using the S word too soon. How about if I say I'm read for the fall colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure like the fall look you have on your blog. Up here, all kinds of things changing colors already.

    I've got a couple zucchini's in the fridge but they're the small ones. They're pretty good in salads. Love making zucchini muffins. Will do that when I get a boat sized one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SIS.. I took my zuchini from a neighbor and sliced it and dipped it in egg and corn meal and fried it. WOW.. it was GREAT!! I love Zuch bread too.. mom likes it fried...won't touch a cassarole or one boiled. Picky.. yep she is.. the tomatoes look wonderful... : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned to like zuchini. I never disliked it but I could take it or leave it. I never had zuchini bread though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zuchini bread! Ah yeah, that's always good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Zuchini as a vegetable, but haven't had the bread for years.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)