It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Monday, July 5, 2010

Another Monday Holiday…

and I really don’t like Monday holidays.  They are OK when you are working but after you are retired they are really a pain in the wazoo.  I don’t know quite how to explain it.  They just mess up the whole week and I don’t like my week messed with.

It is hot and humid again, not getting below 75 degrees last night.  The air conditioner is back running non-stop again.  I keep it set on 78 and it rarely shuts off. 

My car is mad at me.  For the first time since forever it is having to endure the relentless sun and the onslaught of the birds.  Speaking of birds, I see many different ones in my front yard around the huge oak tree.

001

 

 

I have noticed many different kinds.  They seem to interact nicely with the many squirrels that live in the tree.  The squirrels haven’t bothered my flowers yet as they did at home, constantly digging them up as they were burying the bounty they were storing for winter. 

I watched the fireworks on the Hudson River last night.  They were awesome as was the music.  I also watched part of the Boston Pops 4th of July celebration.  I did all of this without having to leave my easy chair.

I always thought when I was young that the 4th of July signaled that summer was on the downward swing and it would soon be autumn.  I would give up tanning then as I would be brown as a berry.  (I wish I had known then the dangers of tanning.)  As I grow older I think that more strongly than ever.  Here I don’t have any preparations to make as I anticipate the coming of autumn and then winter.  I really miss having a garden and working outside.

I thoroughly enjoyed mowing the lawn and just walking across the alley to chat with my old neighbor.  She has been in the nursing home for the last 3 years suffering from neuropathy.  She called me a few nights ago.  I marvel at how she stays so upbeat and positive about life.  She has been to the Mayo Clinic for new treatments and she was so proud when she told me that she can now stand by herself for 2 and 3/4 minutes.  Made me feel really small, thinking of my aches and pains.

You all have a good week.  Stay safe and be happy!

Beth

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this blog of course and I smiled because I don't like holiday Monday's either!

    My car also has to withstand the onslaught of weather and birds and has learned to hunker down and endure as yours soon will. I finally bought it a cover BUT you need two people to put it on. ;-(

    I never cracked on the TV..I read during the evening and went to bed early as I had a week of up early with the boys and the cat. Boy I slept like nobodies business.
    (HUG)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same, Beth. The traffic here on the day after is awful -- everyone coming home at the same time from a vacation. The heat here is still at 100+ every day and this Wednesday it's supposed to hit 105. Lord knows what the index will be. I just came in from putting water bowls out for the birds, monks, squirrels and the rest, but you know what I saw? My 90 yr old neighbor painting her sun porch. I can't decide if it was a miracle or if she was just plain crazy. Well, have to hand it to her; I'd never be able to do that anymore and especially in this weather. Should have ck'd to see if she had short shorts on, lol.
    My thoughts today are Come On Autumn!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! By the way, that tree is MAGNIFICENT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you live too far away to make a trip back home and visit your old neighbors and neighborhood? Might be a fun outing for you and I'm sure they would love seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi beth, It isnt a bank holiday monday, here this week, but I dont much like them either. When I use to work, I often had to cover bank holidays and the rest of the family were at home. Now usually Amanda has to work, and you are right everything just seems dis-organised and out of kilter. I am still praying to be gloriously adaptable, but dont think I am giving god much help in answering that prayer. ah well, back to the grindstone, as they say, or maybe back to the cross. Sorry I am in a strange mood today. hope you have a good rest of week, hugs - nita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful oak tree. Looks like it has one eye, heh. A little bird feeder may bring them closer to see. Looks like rain all week here. You have yourself a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very festive looking blog Beth! I watched a good portion of the Pops on tv. Locally it is a 3 hour show. I wnet to the concert once. Just me and 500,000 of my close personal friends. Too big a crowd for me.
    Sorry about the pain in the wazoo. Maybe you should get it looked at.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)